FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

James (Ed) Brown – Vintage HE's

<<

gas_monkey

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:23 am

I will put together a rough army list over the next few weeks but I am revisiting my vintage HE’s that have been stripped ready to be painted hopefully for a new book! I aim to get this ready for the NZ Masters at the end of 2013. You can also follow my progress on twitter @gas_monkey82 as they come together. I’ve got close to 6000 points of the old 4th ed metals and single pose plastics to choose from – most of them on fanstscape resin bases which should add a nice touch.
Last edited by gas_monkey on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brit Wargamer in NZ living in Auckland, follow my tournament exploits on Twitter @gas_monkey82
<<

gas_monkey

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:19 am

Re: James (Ed) Brown – High Elves

Current progress on one of the old 4th ed metal bolt throwers, light isn't great but the wood is dheneb stone washed with devlan mud that will be layered and the base gold has been washed with Druchii violet before layer/highlight :) my theme is a Caledor theme with the vintage 5th metal Prince Imirik as my general.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brit Wargamer in NZ living in Auckland, follow my tournament exploits on Twitter @gas_monkey82
<<

AdamElford

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:30 am

Nice work Ed. Cant wait to see finished shots of this.
Follow me on Twitter @elfordminis
<<

gas_monkey

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:33 pm

This isn’t an optimum list just a painting target that contains a mix of the units I want to get together! I have a high elf peg rider when they still made the model that I am going to use as the eagle noble. The L5 life mage is something I’ve run in the past though and with the right list can be brilliant. Life seems to have gone out of fashion but any time you have T5 White Lions with regen = win..

1 Archmage Level 4 Life silver wand, Folariath's robe, talisman of saphery
1 Noble Great Weapon, BSB, dragon armour Banner of Sorcery
1 Noble eagle, dragon armour, shield charmed shield, gaurdian phoenix, sword of might, potion of foolhardiness
1 Mage level 2 Heavens dispel scrol
29 White Lions musician 6
36 Spearmen Full Command
20 Archers musician, standard Banner of Eternal Flame
6 Dragon Princes ,musician
1 Bolt thrower Rare
1 Bolt thrower Rare
1 Great Eagle Rare
1 Great Eagle Rare
<<

gas_monkey

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Re: James (Ed) Brown – Ruins of Anlec High Elves

I’ve made some progress on the paint job, thanks to Adam E for the tips on blonde hair. Hoping to get my first contribution done this week and onto a chariot or eagle rider. In terms of the army theme most of my force is on elven ruin bases so the theme is the Ruins of Anlec.

Cheers Jb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

AdamElford

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:04 pm

No worries for the tips. Looking good so far!
Follow me on Twitter @elfordminis
<<

gas_monkey

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:00 am

Really pumped to actually finish my first model! It's only 100 points and a bolt thrower but thrive on progress :D ! Probably the best thing I've painted in ages - thoughts? Cheers JB
<<

Steve Wren

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:57 am

James (Ed) Brown – Ruins of Anlec High Elves

Looking good Ed. some more classic high elves for the battlefield
<<

Warpmaster

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:00 pm

Green and white looks very nice
<<

gas_monkey

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Cheers guys,

I wanted something a little different from the classic blue look that you see from GW. I can link the theme across the army with the Dragon princes etc. having the dark green barding/armour should hopefully look good.
<<

JAB9606

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Looking great mate. Really like the colour scheme
Follow me on twitter @JordanBladen
<<

gas_monkey

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:02 am

Hobby progress grinding to a halt this weekend as I will be pushing the beastmen in the first NZ tournament of the New Year #archenemy I will aim to tweet as much as possible to see how it goes with Ogres first up… :o
<<

gas_monkey

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:26 am

so after a bit of a lull due to a tournament back on it with the HE vintage archers, this guy is one of the metals :)
<<

chrisdanish

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 am

How did you get on in the tournament?

Glad to see you back on track with the painting.
<<

gas_monkey

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:49 am

yeah went ok! Came 4th :) in the end with the beasts although I chucked away a podium last round by being stupid! Back to the painting which is good.
<<

gas_monkey

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: James (Ed) Brown – Vintage HE's

Right back on it for Feb after falling off the wagon :( with tournaments and a whole ogre army to base and magnetize. I did get a test base done for my elven ruins theme that is going to be the base for one of the new hobbit eagles. Refocus this month and going to finish the 10 archers and look to pick back up my unit of 30 Sword Masters... :D
<<

soulassassin

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:50 am

Nice to see a vintage army getting redone! (doing the same thing myself)

How "old school" is the army going to be? Will you be blending in some newer models?

Really like the bases too, that will make the elves look a bit more modern (and you can manipulate height and scale of the models, using the basing material) :)

Keep it up :)
Check out my Chaos Dwarf Big Hat Extravaganza - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2112
<<

gas_monkey

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:38 am

Cheers!

They will be pretty old school, mostly all old 4th ed models – the single pose spears/archers (these are still my favourite HE core models), the 4th ed metal White Lions – hands up who remembers those? 4th ed Phoneix Guard/Sword Masters (I have about 30 each all metal) 20 metal 4th ed silver helms, 10 DP’s, griffon, dragon, bolt throwers! The works really. I have one 5th ed mage and chariot that’s about it!
<<

gas_monkey

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:39 pm

So having well and truly fallen off the bandwagon due to times pressures/tournaments and just being slack I thought I’d post a pic of something I have completed. A second firebelly for my ogres. I went with blue flames (which were a nightmare) and I am still not sure if I 100% like them. I am thinking on maybe some grey at the top and then some tats to finish but I needed him for a tournament this weekend! Thoughts and feedback welcome! Cheers
<<

gas_monkey

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:33 am

back on the band wagon! I got 6 sword master done this weekend, put together one of the new hobbit eagles and finished this chap the unit champ, One of my favorite 4th ed High elf figures
<<

chrisdanish

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:01 am

Great work, that model looks awesome.

So how do you like the Hobbit eagles? I recently finished two myself and was surprised just how big that wing span is. Great models, and the poses leave a lot of room for basing ideas. I just got lazy but I have seen some neat ideas.

So how did you get on at the tournament with the Ogres?

Cheers Chris
<<

gas_monkey

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:23 am

Cheers mate, enjoying the hobbit eagles to be fair. Almost gone one done, just deliberating on white feathers tail/head typical bald eagle style. Not sure if it will look a bit sh&t though.

Basing is elven ruins again. Going to try and paint a few more SM’s this weekend.

Return to The 2013 Hobby Blog Challenge